Michael S. Block, DMD, Professor, DO Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Louisiana State University, New Orleans, Louisiana, US
- Conveniently organized by anatomy and procedure, with each chapter presenting a different area of the mouth or a specific surgical technique.
- Indications and contraindications for each procedure provide details of why a procedure is performed.
- Clear case illustrations combined with text provide an excellent guide to procedures – a textbook in atlas format.
- A discussion of the result of prosthodontic treatment is provided for each case, explaining how implant placement factors into successful therapy.
- New Methods for Immediate Provisionalization chapter covers single-tooth implant restorations and multi-unit restorations.
- Adds coverage of immediate placement of implants at the time of tooth extraction.
- Discusses critical factors for esthetic central incisor implant restorations.
- Covers immediate loading of the edentulous mandible with provisional and final restorations, and discusses augmentation of the thin ridge using particulate materials, providing the patient with complete restoration of function within minutes of implant placement.
- Covers the use of distraction osteogenesis for severely atrophic anterior maxillary sites and treatment of anterior maxillary atrophy with onlay grafts for fixed prosthetics, to restore the patient with severe maxillary defects and create the soft tissue needed for bone graft and later implant placement.
- Discusses new technique for bone morphogenetic protein for sinus augmentation, so patients may have recombinant BMP placed with bone formation allowing implant placement, without the need for morbid autogenous bone harvesting or the use of allografts or xenografts.
- Covers extraction site protocols to reconstruct and preserve bone bulk in anticipation of implant placement, offering methods for grafting the extraction socket to allow for ideal implant placement at a later time.
BDA News, vol 21, no 4, April 2008
A leader in implant dentistry—an excellent text for novice and experienced alike, February 9, 2007
Michael Block is an extraordinary educator and this text demonstrates his teaching abilities and his knowledge of implant dentistry. He sits on the education committees of several scientific academies for a reason. There is content appropriate for all dentists, not just Oral Surgeons. The text is easy to navigate through, there are ample references that will be helpful to students and educators alike, and the images, etc. are helpful towards clarifying concepts in implant dentistry. It is a must for every advanced implant surgeon and cutting edge restorative clinician.
Great read on implant dentistry!, August 5, 2011
Must-read for those interested in implant surgery. With easy-to-follow, colorful illustrations, this well-organized book thoroughly discusses essential principles of comprehensive implant dentistry with emphasis on challenging anterior/esthetic cases, different approaches to bone grafting/soft tissue manipulation/flap designs and their limitations. Highly recommended!
A very comprehensive book on dental implant surgery, October 9, 2008
Michael Block is considered one of the pioneers in implant dentistry with countless publications in peer reviewed journals and serving on the board of several academies. It is to no surprise that this book features the very latest in dental implant surgeries and associated grafting procedures. The book is well written and documented with excellent illustrations and images. This is also a great book for the general dentist who does not perform surgery, because it puts the entire implant treatment progression into a very good perspective for successful treatment planing.
Very specialized, September 20, 2010
This product is good for an oral surgeon. Not for the regular periodontist, or general dentist. Too advanced for the regular reader.
- Hardcover: 384 pages
- Publisher: Saunders; 2 edition (January 29, 2007)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 141603594X
- ISBN-13: 978-1416035947
- Product Dimensions: 11 x 8.6 x 0.8 inches
- Shipping Weight: 3 pounds