Antonio Nanci, PhD, Professor of Anatomy & Cell Biology, DO Stomatology, Faculty of Dentistry, UO Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
The new sixth edition of this definitive reference in dental education has been updated with detailed, contemporary information on the development, structure, and function of the teeth and surrounding tissues. This text is rich with features that provide insight on current research and trends, foster classroom discussion, and provide avenues for further research. Each chapter begins with an outline of chapter content for quick reference and concludes with an up-to-date bibliography section of recommended readings from journals and textbooks. New to this edition is a CD-ROM containing hundreds of full-color photos and micrographs, a comprehensive test bank, and a list of recommended readings for further information on the topics presented in the book. With the inclusion of the CD-ROM, the author states, “This edition can be considered a textbook and electronic learning medium that every student involved in oral health will require and that practitioners will want to have in their offices for reference.”
- Current, relevant references for further reading are presented in bibliographies at the end of each chapter.
- Questions and Controversies boxes provide insight on current research and trends, foster classroom discussion, and provide avenues for further research.
- Includes information on histology of dentin, enamel, dental pulp, periodontal ligament, cementum, alveolar bone, oral mucosa, salivary glands, temporomandibular joint, and more.
- Extra emphasis on embryology and development, clearly explained through line drawings and photomicrographs of exceptional quality.
- The reader-friendly writing style is concise, easily understood, and logical in sequence of presentation.
- The accompanying CD-ROM features a full-color electronic image collection of micrographs and clinical photos to facilitate the comprehension of concepts presented in the text that are difficult to describe in print and visualize in black-and-white images.
- The CD-ROM also features a comprehensive test bank and a complete list of current literature directing users to additional information on oral histology and embryology.
- A new main editor and many new contributing authors from various fields of dentistry offer a fresh approach to the subject matter while lending years of credibility and experience.
- Content outlines are presented at the beginning of each chapter for quick reference of specific topics.
- Includes hundreds of new, high-quality illustrations
– Journal of Dental Hygiene – 2004
“The” Authoratative Textbook, July 3, 2008
While no textbook is perfect, this latest edition of Ten Cate’s Oral Histology is the best source of information on oral histology for students in dental school. The text is easy to read, the illustrations have been greatly improved since the last edition. I teach oral histology and I consider this book to be the best on the market.
One of the best books in Oral Histology, November 2, 2008
This new version, is quite enhanced esp with discussions and controverses parts.but most of the figures are the same except some few new illustrations and the gentic backgroud issues still poor.
i think in couple of years h’ll need to update the Tooth development chap at least ! a lot of studies are processing.
the Cd is very good with the tests and the data base.
I recommend strongly this book.
Great book for the dental student, March 10, 2007
Great embryology, easy to understand.
Great development, pictures, terminology in a vry easily understood book. There is no falling asleep in this one becasue the author doesn’t show off his brain by using stupid words and extra fluff.
Book is straight forward and easy to understand and I will use it for the boards.
- Hardcover: 416 pages
- Publisher: Mosby; 6 edition (June 30, 2003)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0323016146
- ISBN-13: 978-0323016148
- Product Dimensions: 11 x 8.6 x 1 inches
- Shipping Weight: 3.4 pounds