Stanley F. Malamed, DDS, Professor and Chair, Section of Anesthesia and Medicine, University of Southern California School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA
Offering comprehensive coverage of a wide range of topics, this practical “how to” manual explores and teaches methods that enhance good local anesthesia practices, while alerting readers to specific hazards and errors in technique that may result in complications. Basic concepts for the safe and effective practice of local anesthesia in dentistry today are emphasized, along with the most current advances in science, technology, and pain control techniques.
NEW TO THIS EDITION
- A chapter on Legal Considerations mentions foreseeable complications related to the administration of local anesthetics and discusses the standard of care with regard to appropriate prevention and treatment.
- An all-new, full-color design includes vibrant illustrations and drawings.
- Comprehensive information is provided on Articaine, a highly debated local anesthetic recently approved by the FDA, that is gaining widespread use in the United States.
- Discussions of the armamentarium needed to succeed in local anesthesia delivery have been updated to reflect the latest available drugs and devices.
- Updated instructions for administering the various techniques of intraoral anesthesia are presented in consistent, step-by-step procedures.
- The New 2003 CDC Hand Hygiene Guidelines are provided to keep readers up to date on the latest standards of practice.
- Basic concepts for the safe and effective practice of local anesthesia in dentistry are emphasized.
- Recent advances in science, technology, and pain control techniques are presented.
- Clear instructions for administering local anesthetics are accompanied by high-quality photographs and drawings to enhance the reader’s understanding.
- Numerous boxes and tables are presented throughout to provide a quick reference and comparison of techniques, drugs, and dosages.
- In-depth discussions are provided on the anesthetic agents used in dentistry, along with their clinical actions.
- Dosage charts, injection techniques, information on duration of action, and contraindications for local anesthetics are included at the end of the book for quick reference.
- Step-by-step procedures and instructions for administering local anesthetics are provided.
- The proper care and handling of equipment are thoroughly covered, along with the problems that may be encountered.
- Information is provided on the requirements for pain control and local anesthesia within various dental specialties that require particular attention.
- Coverage includes electronic dental anesthesia and ultrasonics, as alternatives to the injection of drugs.
It describes various anesthetic techniques in excellent detail. The DVD is a great addition, to be able to see the techniques and anatomical landmarks. additionally, I found several new techniques that I have had good success with.
I recommend this book for the student, new clinician, as well as a valuable review for experienced clinicians
- Paperback: 336 pages
- Publisher: Mosby; 5 edition (June 23, 2004)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0323024491
- ISBN-13: 978-0323024495
- Product Dimensions: 8.5 x 0.7 x 10.9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 2.6 pounds
Note: Only premium users can download this ebook. Learn more here!