- James W. Little, DMD, MS, Professor Emeritus, University of Minnesota School of Dentistry-Minneapolis, MN;
- Donald Falace, DMD, University of Kentucky, College of Dentistry, Department of Oral Health Science, Lexington, KY;
- Craig Miller, DMD, MS, University of Kentucky, Department of Oral Health Science, College of Dentistry, Lexington, KY, USA;
- Nelson L. Rhodus, DMD, MPH, Morse Distinguished Professor and Director, Division of Oral Medicine, Oral Diagnosis and Oral Radiology, University of Minnesota, School of Dentistry and College of Medicine, Minneapolis, MN
Learn how common medical conditions can affect the course of the dental treatment a patient receives. This updated, concise reference provides the information you need to provide appropriate dental care to any patient, regardless of existing medical conditions. Featuring vivid illustrations and well-organized tables in each chapter, this text gives you the in-depth details and the overall summaries you need to get to the root of your patients’ needs.
New to This Edition
- NEW! Chapter on drug and alcohol abuse discusses the effects of marijuana, cocaine, amphetamines/methamphetamine, and alcohol, along with considerations for both medical and dental management.
- NEW! 2009 AAOS statement on Antibiotic Prophylaxis for Bacteremia in Patients with Joint Replacements provides recommendations to supplement practitioners in their clinical judgment regarding antibiotic prophylaxis for patients with a joint prosthesis.
- Organization of medical conditions provides a brief overview of the basic disease process, epidemiology, pathophysiology, signs and symptoms, laboratory findings, and currently accepted medical therapy of each disorder. This is followed by a detailed explanation and recommendations for specific dental management.
- Coverage of dosages, side effects, and drug interactions with medications used in dentistry, including those used during pregnancy.
- Chapters focusing on major health problems in the US and other nations include, ischemic hearth disease, smoking and tobacco use cessation, sleep-related breathing disorders, sexually transmitted diseases, diabetes mellitus, and psychiatric disorders.
- Dental management summary table summarizes important factors for consideration in the dental management of medically compromised patients.
- Appendix on the therapeutic management of common oral lesions provides a quick reference to the causative factors, clinical description, currently accepted therapeutic management, and patient education regarding common oral conditions.
- Appendix on alternative and complementary drugs looks at herbal remedies, specifically efficacy, adverse effects/reactions, medical problems, drug interactions, and dental implications.
A must have for any modern Dentist!! May 6, 2012
- Paperback: 736 pages
- Publisher: Mosby; 8 edition (April 4, 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0323080286
- ISBN-13: 978-0323080286
- Product Dimensions: 10.8 x 8.5 x 1 inches
- Shipping Weight: 4.2 pounds
Note: Only gold members can download this ebook. Learn more here!