by Dorothy A. Perry, Phyllis L. Beemsterboer, Gwen Essex
With an emphasis on recognizing periodontal problems and suggesting appropriate treatment, Periodontology for the Dental Hygienist, 4th Edition, covers the essential information that dental hygienists need to provide effective client care. Full-color illustrations and a focus on evidence-based research help you understand and apply the latest in periodontal therapy, from initial patient evaluation to patient education. This edition includes updates on issues such as the links between oral and systemic health, dental implants, and the use of lasers. Written by Dorothy Perry, Phyllis Beemsterboer, and Gwen Essex, all experienced dental hygienists and clinical instructors, this reference also prepares you for success in classroom tests and on the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination (NBDHE).
- Comprehensive, dental hygiene-specific content provides an in-depth look at all the areas of periodontics that directly affect the dental hygienist’s role in oral health care.
- Focus on evidence-based practice reflects the best of current thinking as related to the treatment of gingival and periodontal diseases and conditions.
- High-quality radiographs, histographs, and color clinical photos depict many gingival and periodontic conditions, disease states, and treatments to help in patient evaluation and in determining an appropriate course of treatment.
- Logical, practical coverage addresses the day-to-day role of the dental hygienist in the care and treatment of the periodontium, progressing in sections from essential background information through the foundations of therapy, assessment of disease and conditions, treatment of diseases and conditions, and the results of therapy.
- Multiple-choice and short-answer study questions appear at the end of each chapter, helping you assess your knowledge and review for classroom and national board exams.
- Learning outcomes in each chapter identify the most important content and learning goals for each chapter.
- Key vocabulary is listed at the beginning of each chapter and noted in color within the text.
- References in each chapter direct you to specific classic and emerging studies.
- An Evolve companion website includes case studies, practice quizzes, flashcards, and image identification exercises.
- Updated content focuses on hot topics including the ever-increasing link between oral and systemic health, the link between physical fitness and periodontal health, caries detection, the use of lasers, collaboration with orthodontists in the use of temporary anchorage devices (TADs), dental implants, and drug therapies.
- NEW content on prognosis includes information on the effectiveness of periodontal therapy, bringing together the data supporting maintenance therapy for prevention of tooth loss and attachment loss.
- NEW! Clinical Considerations boxes demonstrate how theories, facts, and research relate to everyday practice.
- NEW! Dental Hygiene Considerations at the end of each chapter summarize key clinical content with a bulleted list of take-away points.
- Expanded student resources on the Evolve companion website include clinical case studies, practice quizzes, flashcards, and image identification exercises.
The book contains black-and-white illustrations.
Note: Only Gold member can download this ebook. Learn more here!